The Rochester Deli, located in Downtown Waukesha, specializes in corned beef and pastrami, using only the finest quality ingredients available. But wait! They also offer delicious traditional deli sandwiches, made from scratch soups, salads and scrumptious desserts served in a warm, nostalgic atmosphere.
The deli is family-owned and operated and has been a part of the Waukesha culture since 2004. We spoke with Laura Strackbein, owner and manager at The Rochester Deli and got the inside scoop on this Waukesha landmark.
You’re a small shop with a huge reputation for serving up an unbelievable assortment of delicacies. Let’s review the deli’s (many) awards and accolades.
- Only in Your State – March 2018, Wisconsin Is Home to the Best Reuben Sandwiches and Here Are The 13 Places To Find Them – Rochester Deli in Waukesha
- Best Things Wisconsin – The 10 Best Delis in Wisconsin
- Culture Trip – The Top 10 Restaurants in Waukesha
- Trip Advisor – #4 of 138 Restaurants in Waukesha
- M Magazine – Best Deli Winner 2012 Readers Choice
- Tap Milwaukee – Carol Deptolla, March 16, 2012, Where to get tasty corned beef, Reuben sandwiches
- Journal Sentinel 12/1/2009 – Top Notch Take Out
- WISN ALIST – A Three Time A-List Winner – Best Sandwich Shop
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 2004 Food critic and author Dennis Getto, “Dan’s hand-carved corned beef or pastrami is as good as that served at the best delis in New York”
- Proud Owner of Periwinkle’s Bakery on Broadway, est. 2013 – featured on Season 21 of ABC’s The Bachelor and Milwaukee Magazine – 9 Places to Celebrate National Pi Day, March 2017, Top Five Bakery Award, WISN ALIST
What makes Rochester Deli so popular and successful in the community?
Our decision to create a “made to order” menu that not only offers over 40 unique selections for our guests, but also focuses on quality, expediency and presentation, along with excellent service, keeps our loyal guests happy and brings new folks coming into the neighborhood.
If people can’t make it into the shop you deliver and cater – tell us about that.
We take pride knowing that our catering services bring delicious and affordable food directly to your event location. During our 15 years of operation, we have partnered with over 500 local businesses, churches, schools and local residents, providing excellent catering choices. Rochester Deli’s Catering operations can be reached at (262) 522-9613 or by email.
The Rochester Deli is an essential place to visit for someone who’s in the Waukesha Pewaukee area from out of town. What are the must-haves for a one-time stop?
First response by new guests, “look at all those amazing desserts!” Periwinkles Bakery on Broadway opened in response to our customer demand for scratch made cakes, pies, cookie bars and other treats. “The Sweeter Side of Rochester Deli” opened in 2013 and is a commercial wholesale bakery providing the Deli and many other local establishments with signature desserts. Try the chocolate dipped peanut butter cookie or a slice of red velvet torte and you won’t be disappointed.
Chef Dan introduced his “New York Style” deli to Downtown Waukesha with his famous Reuben and decidedly created an atmosphere of high energy, fast-paced selections with an order-at-the-counter kind of service in the historic red brick building on Broadway. Travelers from all over the Midwest pop in to enjoy this popular hand-carved corned beef topped with Swiss, house-made kraut, horseradish sauce and 1000 Island dressing grilled on marble rye.
Friday guests enjoy Chef Dan’s Canadian walleye with tomato beurre blanc sauce, or Italian breaded fried Icelandic cod served with scratch made potato pancakes and applesauce in a casual, upbeat atmosphere with wine and beer options available.
Tell us your favorite things about calling downtown Waukesha home to The Rochester Deli.
The essence of a great community is always found in its people. Downtown Waukesha and its surrounding neighborhoods offer beautiful parks, historic buildings, art, live music, outdoor recreation, family-owned eateries, great schools and hospitals in order for its residents and visitors to enjoy a quality lifestyle. We call downtown the heart of this community as it brings families, friends and neighbors together – where neighborhood lines are blurred and everyone knows your name.